It is wise to get your boiler regularly serviced to maintain its performance. Nobody likes to face a situation where their boiler breaks down in winter due to immense usage. This situation leaves you out in the cold, waiting for help. Additionally, regular boiler service and maintenance lower the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and maintain your boiler’s optimal performance. That’s why many registered Gas Safe Engineers recommend Annual Boiler Service.
How Much Does a Boiler Service Cost in the UK?
The cost of servicing a boiler in the UK includes proper inspection and cleaning, which ranges between £70 to £180, with an average price of £125.
In this article, we will break down the cost of servicing according to different types of boilers; along with that, we will shed light on factors and legal obligations you need to consider before opting for service.
How Much Will a Gas Boiler Service Cost?
A gas boiler service is not that much expensive. The cost of servicing a Gas Boiler Annually ranges between £70-£130, with an average price of £100. The engineer will perform a series of checks on your gas boiler. These include:
- Emissions check to find out if the boiler is leaking any dangerous gases.
- A flue check to ensure proper boiler.
- The pipework of the boiler to determine if it meets recommended safety standards.
- The overall boiler installation, to ensure the appliance was installed in a safe manner.
- A control check to ensure the boiler’s controls work properly.
- A visual inspection for leaks, rust, and corrosion.
- A pressure check to ensure the water and gas pressure of the boiler is as it should be.
How Much Does An Oil Boiler Service Cost?
The servicing cost of an Oil-fired Boiler is a little high ranging between £85-£190 due to its fuel type. To service an Oil-fired boiler, you will require an engineer registered with OFTEC (Oil Firing Technical Association).
The engineer will perform a series of checks on your oil boiler. These include:
- Detailed inspection of the boiler includes the pipes attached to the oil tank, ensuring everything complies with the safety regulations.
- Replace the nozzle of the boiler and clean out the flue.
- Check for water in your oil tank and ensure no signs of leakage.
- Cleaning of internal components of the boiler, including the heat exchanger and burner, by removing the covering case.
- Test the functioning of thermostats, pressure relief valves, and burner lockout devices.
How Much Does An Electric Boiler Service Cost?
Although servicing an Electric Boiler is not that necessary compared to oil-fired and Gas fired boilers. But it would be best if you serviced it once before winter to ensure everything is functioning efficiently and ideally. The servicing cost of an Electric Boiler ranges between £60-£100.
The Service of an Electric Boiler Includes:
- Checking all electrical connections to ensure tightness and that there is no corrosion.
- Checking the tundish and surrounding area for signs of water.
- Checking for signs of damage to wiring, such as rodent gnawing, Etc.
- Check the air bubble in the cylinder tank.
- Check the thermostat for functionality/wear.
- Restarting the system to make sure everything is working as it should be.
|Boiler Type||Service Cost of Boiler||Average Cost of Boiler Service|
Note: Above mentioned prices are estimates for the year 2022, and prices may vary from company to company.
Factors To Consider When Doing A Boiler Service
After reading this far, you know the cost associated with different boilers. But what you don’t know is that there are still some factors to consider before getting a boiler service, which is mentioned below:
- What does boiler service include?
- How often do you need to service your boiler?
- What are the issues that lead to a boiler service?
- Legal Responsibilities associated with boiler service?
- Who are the reliable and expert boiler service providers?
- Is Boiler Service worth it?
- Should I repair or replace my boiler?
Let’s discuss them in detail:
What Does Boiler Service Include and Why Is It Necessary?
A boiler service consists of inspection and maintenance conducted by a Gas Safe Register Engineer. The process includes cleaning and examining the components of your boiler to ensure everything is working effectively and efficiently. The method consists of an emission check, leakage check, flue check, and checking the installation to ensure the appliance is installed in a manner complying with the safety rules and regulations. After the engineer finishes the service, you must receive a Gas Safety Certificate.
The certificate will include the engineer’s name, identity number, and company name. The certificate will also have the problem addressed and solved by the engineer, if they were any.
A boiler service is crucial because by regularly maintaining it, you can avoid future repairs and replacement costs, enhance its life for a more extended period, and protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning.
How Often Do You Need To Service Your Boiler?
Gas Safe Engineers advises having your boiler serviced once every year before winter to avoid surprise breakdowns and ensure your boiler is working effectively and efficiently.
Issues That Lead To A Boiler Service
There are several reasons for a boiler service that, includes:
- The pilot light is not working properly.
- No heating or hot water or both.
- Pressure inconsistency sometimes rises too much and sometimes drops too much.
- Boiler making gurgling or bubbling sound.
- Cold Radiators.
- Frozen pipes.
- The boiler keeps switching itself off.
- Leakage issues due to poor installation.
- Electrical problems.
Legal Responsibilities Associated With Boiler Service
If you are a homeowner, you are not legally obliged to get your boiler serviced annually. But morally, it is your responsibility to ensure the safety of your family and neighbors by having a safety check regarding electrical faults and Gas leakage. That’s why Annual Boiler service is significant to ensure that the boiler is operating ideally and keeps the Boiler warranty valid to help you make claims in the future.
If you are a landlord, you are legally obliged to get your boiler serviced and inspected by a registered Gas Safe engineer once every year.
Who Are The Reliable Annual Boiler Service Providers In The UK
- 24|7 Home Rescue
- British Gas
- Home tree
- Home Serve
- Worcester Bosch
- Scottish Power
- Baxi Boiler
- EDF Energy
Is Boiler Service worth it?
Eventually, yes, it is. Servicing a boiler is a good practice to prevent future breakdown, especially in winter. Annual boiler service will also keep your boiler operating smoothly, increasing its effectiveness and making it more efficient. Not only that, but it also ensures your boiler’s and your home’s safety.
Read more about: Benefits of an annual boiler service.
Should I Repair Or Replace My Boiler?
Now, this is a significant factor as well as an essential question that you should ask yourself before deciding to service your boiler. It depends upon your situation. If you have a new boiler or a boiler aged between 5-10 years, then repairing is the more logical decision. But if your boiler is over ten years, it is probably time to replace it as it has passed the age of smooth functioning. But replacing a boiler is expensive. And if you are not financially stable enough to afford a new boiler, you can also get a boiler on finance.
Boiler Service Vs Boiler Cover
When it comes to boiler service, there are two options for you. First, you can opt for a one-off service where the engineer will visit you, inspect your boiler, and charge you for the service time. The second option is to subscribe to a boiler cover policy. With this insurance policy, you will pay a fixed monthly or annual fee depending upon the policy you choose, along with additional benefits, i.e., CP12 Certificate (Included in landlord cover only), Gas safe check, and Carbon monoxide test.
After reading this article, you now know the cost of servicing different types of boilers and the crucial factors you will need to consider before getting your boiler serviced. If you have a Gas boiler and are looking for an affordable service, then 24|7 Home Rescue is there for you. Our annual boiler service includes a carbon monoxide test, gas safe check, CP12 Certificate, Nationwide coverage, All week appointments, and an Email certificate.
So all you need to do is call us on 0345 3192 247 and let us know your problem. We will immediately send a Gas Safe Engineer to service your boiler and help you stay warm this winter.