Updated on 16th December, 2022 by Martin Astley
A CP12 certificate, otherwise known as a landlord’s gas safety certificate, is a legal requirement for all residential landlords in the UK. Landlords must ensure that every house they own is issued with a CP12 certificate every year.
A CP12 record documents the tests and checks landlords must undertake as outlined in the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations. Many of the checks on the CP12 certificate only require a visual inspection, and detailed inspections of flue lining, flue construction or flue integrity only take place when specifically recorded.
A CP12 certificate will record the following details:
Details of Registered Business
- Gas Safe Register number
- Name of registered engineer
- Gas Safe Register license number
- Engineer’s business
- Business address and postcode
- Engineer’s contact number
- Signature of record issuer
- Name of record issuer
- Signature of recipient
- Date of gas safety check
- When is the next safety check due?
Relevant parties’ details
- Address of the property in question
- Address of the landlord, homeowner or agent
- Number of gas appliances tested
- Location of appliances
- Type of appliances
- Appliance manufacturer
- Appliance model
- Owner of appliance
- Flue type
- Was the appliance inspected?
- Operating pressure
- Heat input
- Are the safety devices operational?
- Is the ventilation adequate?
- Results of visual inspection of flue and termination
- Results of flue operation tests
- Combustion analysis report
- Service status
- Is the appliance safe to use?
- Results of visual inspection of gas installation pipework
- Results of visual inspection of gas supply pipework
- Is the Emergency Control Valve adequately accessible?
- Results of gas tightness test
- Is the Protective Equipotential bonding adequate?
- Were any defects identified?
- What is the Gas Industry unsafe situations procedure classification of this defect?
- What warning or advice record was given?
- What action was taken in regards to these defects?
- What work was undertaken?