Do you live in a household with more than two cars? Then, choosing the best Multi Car Breakdown Cover can save you from a massive headache.
Register single or multiple cars under one address and save the unnecessary cost of having different policies for each vehicle. Here’s your guide to better understanding the Multi-Vehicle Breakdown Cover.
What is a Multi Car Breakdown Cover Policy?
The Multi car breakdown cover allows you to cover more than one vehicle under one policy. It’s a cost-effective option for those who own multiple cars. This policy is excellent in terms of cost and time.
Most car insurance companies prefer 2 car breakdown cover for only family members. However, some companies offer cheap multi car breakdown cover for individuals with children, spouses, or friends with multiple cars.
The car insurance companies often provide breakdown coverage for up to 3 vehicles under one policy. Each vehicle under the family multi-car breakdown cover policy will have the same level of insurance. It will be covered in breakdown times regardless of who was driving it.
Here are some key points related to the breakdown cover;
- An individual can cover more than three cars under one policy.
- The vehicle under one policy must be registered to the same address. However, they don’t have to be reported to one owner.
- Each vehicle gets the same level of cover and anyone can drive it.
Even though the cars are insured on the same policy, each can have a personalised level of cover based on your needs. This policy allows you to decide how many additional charges you can pay to each vehicle.
You can even customise the individual no-claim discount (NCD) as per your needs. NCD is an excellent approach. If one of the cars undergoes an accident, the NCD on the other vehicles will stay the same.
Types of Multi-Car Breakdown Policy
Considering the standard breakdown cover, there are two types of covers for multiple cars claiming. The only thing differentiating these types is the manner of the fee. Other than that, both the breakdown covers offer the same insurance that can assist you if your vehicle breaks down or needs a repair.
Insurance Breakdown Cover
It’s a car breakdown cover where you pay the fee upfront for any service you get. Then, you can claim back through your insurance company with an additional fee.
Traditional Breakdown Cover
Depending on the requirements and arrangements of your policy, the breakdown cost of your vehicles will be paid in part or full from the amount you pay annually for the cover.
Different Products in Multi Vehicle Breakdown Cover
The car insurance companies offer different claim approaches and products depending on the type of breakdown cover. These policies can be helpful for different situations.
- Multi-Car Breakdown is a simple policy that covers more than one vehicle. This policy is more vehicle-focused. So, anyone who drives the car under this policy will be taken care of.
- Family Multi Car Breakdown Cover is a more person-centred policy. It means you can cover more than one person under a single policy. In addition, the policy states that anyone under this policy, driving whatever car will be covered.
Some other policy products include joint breakdown cover. It means you can cover two people (e.g., spouse, children, or parents) under the same policy.
What’s included in the Car Breakdown Cover Policy?
There are two types of breakdown cover to choose from; Insurance and Traditional. Depending on these types, what they offer also varies. However, here are some standard assistance and cover included in both policies type;
- Roadside Assistance: The typical situation for breakdown cover. If the car breaks down in the middle of the road, you can contact your breakdown service to help you. The service experts will either fix the problem or tow your car and take it to the nearest garage.
- Car Recovery: If the service providers can’t fix the technical problem of your vehicle and you don’t want to take it to the nearest garage, you can also decide on a particular location and ask them to take it there.
- Battery Replacement: You can get a new battery replacement if the existing one has worn out.
- Tyre or Engine Repairing: If the breakdown reasons of your car are either tyre or engine, the service providers will repair or replace it.
- Key Replacement: If you have misplaced or lost your vehicle’s key, the service will also get you a new key replacement.
- Onward Travel: If there is no nearest garage and the car can’t be fixed, you will be given a substitute mode of transportation to reach your destination. This type of breakdown includes transportation charges and stay accommodation.
- Home Breakdown: Suppose you’re about to go to the office and see your car broken down in the driveway; you can request a quick fix and repair from your coverage provider.
Cost of Multi-Car Breakdown Cover
Different car insurance companies provide additional multi-car breakdown cover quotes. However, how cheap or expensive depends on how many drivers or cars you add under one policy.
The average cost for a multi-car cover policy ranges around £60.96. And this quote is only for covering two standard cars. However, if you choose to get breakdown cover for two vehicles separately, you will be paying £75.20, which shows the multi-vehicle policy is cost-effective.
Is Car Breakdown Cover included in Multi-trip Travel Insurance?
Car Breakdown cover is an additional service that isn’t included in the multi-trip travel insurance. The multi-trip travel insurance aims to cover the costs if you have had an accident during the trip. In contrast, the car breakdown cover helps you with the repair and recovery of your vehicle.
How Many Times Can I Claim on My Multi-Car Breakdown Policy?
Unless it’s a recurring technical problem with your vehicle, you get unlimited breakdown assistance and callout on each car.
Can I Pay Monthly for My Multi Car Breakdown Policy?
Yes. You can choose to pay monthly for your multi-vehicle breakdown cover. However, when choosing the breakdown cover policy, you must select the payment duration.
Can You Get a Breakdown Cover for 2 Cars?
Yes. You can get a breakdown cover for two or more cars. You can even get the breakdown car for one car only. Depending on your needs, you can tailor the breakdown coverage.
Looking for an affordable deal on a multi car breakdown cover is easier when you know your requirements. We hope this article has helped you understand the overall concept of multi-car policy and its type.