Updated on 31st March, 2023 by Martin Astley
Do you live in a household with more than two cars? Then, choosing the best Multi Car Breakdown Cover can save you from a massive headache.
Getting yourself a car breakdown cover is a great way to protect yourself from emergencies occurred due to sudden car breakdowns. However, obtaining insurance for multiple vehicles can be expensive if you have more than one car in your home.
Fortunately, there is a multi-car breakdown coverage policy available in the market. If you are unfamiliar with this policy or unsure how to choose the right one, this article will provide you with all the necessary information.
What is a Multi Car Breakdown Cover Policy?
A multi-car breakdown cover policy allows you to cover multiple cars under one policy. If you have a household with two or more cars, getting an insurance policy for each vehicle will be a hefty expense. That’s where multi-car breakdown provides an affordable option to cover multiple cars under one umbrella.
Multi-car breakdown policies protect all insured vehicles while offering discounts for insuring multiple cars under one policy. Essentially, this policy is the most effective way to ensure that all your cars are safeguarded in case of a breakdown or mechanical failure. Plus, you will have peace of mind knowing you won’t be alone in an emergency and will have roadside assistance available.
Types of Multi-Car Breakdown Policy
Regarding breakdown cover for multiple cars, there are two types to consider. Both types of cover offer the same level of protection to assist you in the event of a breakdown or repair need. However, the only difference between these two options is how the fee is charged. Let’s have a look at both options.
1- Insurance Breakdown Cover:
This option requires you to pay the fee upfront for any necessary services. You can then claim back the cost through your insurance company with an additional fee.
2- Traditional Breakdown Cover:
Traditional Breakdown Cover is an option that provides coverage for the cost of breakdowns for your vehicles. Depending on the requirements and arrangements of your policy, the price may be paid in part or in full. This cost is included in the annual fee you pay for the coverage.
Multi-car vs Family Breakdown Cover
When you explore the internet or the market for car breakdown cover policies, you will come across not only multi-car breakdown cover policies but also family breakdown cover policies. On researching further, you will find that these policies are quite similar. But let us remind you that you should be aware of some key differences between them. Let’s discuss them.
- Multi-car breakdown insurance policies cover multiple vehicles, meaning that the focus is on the number of vehicles being covered and not on the number of people driving them.
- Family breakdown insurance policies provide cover for the drivers, not the vehicles. It covers multiple people living at the same address and one or two vehicles.
What’s included in the Multi-Car Breakdown Cover Policy?
Let’s look at the wide range of services the multi-car breakdown cover policy includes.
1. Roadside Assistance
The typical situation for breakdown cover If the car breaks down in the middle of the road, you can contact your breakdown service to help you. The service experts will either fix the problem or tow your car and take it to the nearest garage.
2. Car Recovery
If the service providers can’t fix the technical problem of your vehicle and you don’t want to take it to the nearest garage, you can also decide on a particular location and ask them to take it there.
3. Onward Travel
If there is no nearby garage and the car can’t be fixed, you will be given a substitute mode of transportation to reach your destination. This type of breakdown includes transportation charges and stay accommodations.
4. Home Breakdown
Suppose you’re about to go to the office and see your car broken down in the driveway; you can request a quick fix and repair from your coverage provider.
Additional options that can be added multi-car breakdown cover policy
There are several optional extras that you may consider adding to your policy. These extras can provide additional coverage and peace of mind. Some of the more common options include:
- Fuel Replacement: This coverage will protect you if you accidentally fill your car with the wrong type of fuel.
- European Driving: If you plan on driving your car in Europe, this coverage will ensure you are protected while on the road.
- Windshield Cover: This coverage will protect you if your windshield is damaged or needs to be replaced.
- Key Replacement: If you lose your car keys, this coverage will provide you with a replacement set.
- Special Vehicle Breakdown Cover: If you own a caravan, motorhome, or trailer, this coverage will provide specialised breakdown assistance.
- Cold Weather Cover: This coverage will protect you if your car is damaged due to cold weather conditions.
Exclusions of multi-car breakdown policies
Regarding multi-car breakdown cover policies, it’s crucial to know the exclusions. These exclusions are not included in the policy, and if you find yourself in one of these situations, you won’t receive assistance. Here are some of the most common exclusions to be aware of:
- If your car breaks down in an area outside the coverage radius of your provider, you may not receive assistance. However, there is a possibility that they may make an exception and dispatch help to your location, albeit with an additional fee.
- When travelling with animals or livestock, it is crucial to inform your insurance provider. Failure to do so could result in a lack of assistance in a car breakdown involving your animals or horsebox.
- If your car breaks down due to an accident, you may not be able to receive immediate assistance until the emergency services have completed their work.
- If your car does break down and you require assistance, it is crucial to note that if the cause of the breakdown is due to poor maintenance, your request for assistance may not be valid.
What is the claims procedure for my multi-car breakdown policy
There are a few important steps to follow when claiming multi-car breakdown policies.
- Firstly, gather all necessary information related to the policy and the specific breakdown event, including the vehicle registration number, the breakdown’s location, the incident’s date and time, and any relevant details about the issue.
- Secondly, contact your breakdown provider as soon as possible to report the breakdown and initiate the claims process. Be prepared to provide all necessary information and documents requested by your provider for them to process your claim efficiently.
- Thirdly, it’s worth noting that some policies may restrict or limit the types of repairs or services covered under their plan. Ensure you understand what is included in your policy before making a claim, and thoroughly review the terms and conditions document.
Cost of 5 Multi-car breakdown cover providers in the UK
|Cover Providers||Policy Price Starting From|
|24|7 Home Rescue||£1.99 per month.|
|The AA||£12 per month.|
|RAC||£6.75 per month.|
|Britannia Rescue||£30 a year.|
|Emergency Assist Ltd||£24 a year.|
Prices may vary and affect the final cost of the product.
How to choose the right multi-car breakdown policy for your needs?
When choosing a multi-car breakdown policy, it’s important to consider multiple factors to ensure the right coverage is obtained for your needs.
One of the key considerations is the level of cover provided, which can be categorised as basic, standard, or comprehensive. Basic cover will typically be limited to assistance, while comprehensive policies will cover all aspects, including transport and overnight accommodation if necessary.
The number of vehicles you need coverage for also plays a role in selecting an appropriate policy. Many providers offer discounts on multi-car policies, so shopping around for competitive prices and favourable terms is essential.
Additionally, consider other added benefits such as no-claims discounts or roadside repair facility options. Choosing a trusted and experienced provider is vital, involving checking online reviews and ratings to gauge satisfaction levels with their service quality. Ultimately, considering your budget constraints and the type(s) of vehicles covered by the policy is crucial before making a final decision.
After reading this helpful article, we trust that you now understand what a multi-car breakdown policy entails, including its types, coverage, exclusions, and potential additional options.
If you seek affordable multi-car breakdown coverage in mainland UK, please do not hesitate to contact 24|7 Home Rescue at 0345 3192 247. We hope we can assist you in finding the right policy option that best meets your needs.