Research from M&S Bank has found that nearly one-quarter (23%) of Brits with garden sheds occasionally leave the shed unlocked, with almost one-tenth saying they never lock their shed. This is despite the fact that sheds typically hold an average of £597 worth of goods, many of which are much sought-after by burglars. In fact, criminals have been known to break into sheds, steal power tools, and use these power tools to access the main property, so poor shed security can translate into poor household security.
But it’s not just sheds that criminals steal from; 17% of respondents to the M&S Bank poll said that they have had greenery from their garden stolen or damaged or that they know someone who has, and with the gardens holding an average of £383 worth of greenery, and with garden owners generally spending between two and four hours every week tending to their garden over summer, the emotional and financial consequences of a theft from a garden can also be very significant.
While our home emergency cover can protect you from security incidents affecting the main house of your property, there are steps you can take to protect your garden and any outbuildings. As 30% of shed owners said they have not taken any measures to improve the security of their garden, the following guidance could make a huge difference to a lot of people’s home security!
- Use a strong padlock on garden gates and on the doors of sheds
- Invest in window locks and ensure that your windows are kept shut
- Consider planting a prickly hedge on the outskirts of your garden to discourage burglars
- Use automatic security lights so that criminals cannot hide under the cover of darkness
- Do not leave items such as barbecues, power tools and bicycles lying in the garden – lock them in the shed or bring them indoors
- Keep your shed locked when it is not in use
- Use curtains or blinds so thieves cannot see your expensive belongings
- Keep your shed in a good condition – a criminal could break into a locked shed if the door is rotten or the hinges are rusting away
Don’t let thieves ruin your summer; take control of your home security! If you need any assistance, we are on-hand 24/7, and will deal with any security incidents affecting your main house in as little time as possible. Find out more about our security cover today!