The silent killer that is Carbon Monoxide takes around 50 lives a year in the UK, and over 1,100 people are hospitalised due to being poisoned by the deadly gas. To prevent Carbon Monoxide poisoning claiming more victims, we are supporting Gas Safety Week to spread awareness of just how important gas safety is.
Over 23 million of us are gas users, and can be subject to gas leaks and Carbon Monoxide poisoning from a gas boiler being poorly serviced or installed unsuitably.
Research carried out by registered engineers revealed that unsafe gas appliances have been found in one in six homes, which is the equivalent of 4.28 million households. At least 68,000 homes escaped from deadly gas incidents in the last year, and around half of the dangerous appliances discovered have been attributed to the fact that people had failed to get their gas appliance regularly serviced, therefore it had been left in a poor and unsafe condition.
Identifying if you have Carbon Monoxide isn’t easy as you can’t see it, hear it or taste it. However these are the most common symptoms:
- Feeling sick or vomiting
- Shortness of breath and difficulty breathing
- Loss of consciousness
Carbon Monoxide is dangerous to everyone, however babies and young children, pregnant woman and people with heart or breathing problems are more susceptible.
By spotting the symptoms, you can save your life and your family’s.
24|7 Home Rescue are working alongside the Gas Safety Register to promote the life threatening dangers of Carbon Monoxide by giving you the chance to win one of our 10 SleepSafe Carbon Monoxide alarms worth over £20. One lucky winner out of the 10 will also benefit from our one year Boiler Basic Package (worth over £80) which includes boiler service, Carbon Monoxide testing, a Gas Safe check by one of our Gas Safe engineers and nationwide coverage.
To be in with the chance of winning, all you need to do is go to our Facebook page and follow the instructions.