With our boiler breakdown cover, you’re well on the way to protecting yourself and your family from deadly carbon monoxide. As well as a great level of boiler cover, you can also receive annual gas appliance services from our specialist team, so you can spot and resolve any potential problems before they lead to catastrophe.
More than 50 people die due to carbon monoxide exposure every year, with thousands more suffering from health problems following exposure. The dangers posed by this deadly gas are particularly serious because it can be hard to identify when it is present – CO is completely colourless and odourless, yet it can cause deadly poisoning in just a few minutes.
So what can you do to prevent a home emergency caused by CO? The gas appliance repair experts at 247 Home Rescue have provided the following advice:
- Install an audible CO detector in your home.
- Invest in a shut-off device that will automatically turn off your gas boiler and other gas appliances when it detects the presence of CO
- Fit CO detectors in every room with gas appliances
- Have your chimney swept every year
- Do not use charcoal grills, barbecues or other fuel-burning appliances indoors
- Do not use generators indoors
- Do not cover flues or air bricks
- Check whether external flues could force CO into your home through windows and doors, and arrange any necessary remedial home improvements or repairs
- Be aware of the symptoms of CO poisoning – typically headache, tiredness, flu-like symptoms, confusion, difficulty breathing and collapse
There are a range of signs that indicate that a gas appliance is likely to leak carbon monoxide. If you discover any of the following, contact 247 Home Rescue for a gas appliance service and repair.
- Pilot lights that keep blowing out
- Unusual levels of condensation in the room containing the appliance
- Brown, yellow or sooty stains surrounding appliances
- Yellow pilot lights or yellow gas fire flames
If you are concerned about carbon monoxide safety, then your local fire and rescue service or your council may be able to visit your property to offer advice and assistance and to supply you with a free carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide detectors, shut-off equipment, gas appliance services, boiler breakdown cover – there are plenty of things you can do to minimise or eradicate the risk that CO poses. There is no limit to the number of products and services you should use – the full belt-and-braces approach is always the best.
Would you like more information? Call 0345 3192 247 today to see how 247 Home Rescue could help you!