British Gas finds SMEs not preparing for boiler breakdowns and forgoing health and safety needs

As many as 1.7 million small and medium-sized enterprises could be failing to adhere to legal health and safety requirements surrounding gas appliances, research by British Gas revealed. The gas and electricity supplier’s study found that 52% of people in senior management positions or higher, who are responsible for facilities or energy management, and whose…

Colby fire started by electrical appliance breakdown

An electrical appliance led to a fire in Colby. The Isle of Man Fire and Rescue Service went to the property at 13:53 on September 18th after learning that an as-yet-unnamed appliance had caught fire in the front room of the household. Responders from Port Erin spotted the overheating appliance, isolated it, and then removed…

Ipswich builder avoids jail after leaving household thousands out-of-pocket & with risky gas supply

A self-employed builder from Ipswich’s Kesgrave region was handed a suspended prison sentence after illegally removing a gas boiler. ‘Immediately dangerous’ In a hearing yesterday (September 30th), Ipswich Crown Court heard that on October 11th 2012, 49-year-old Keith Vickerstaff, of Wainwright Way, had left a gas supply pipe uncapped and open after taking the boiler…

Cardiff home improvement company’s shoddy gas work fills loft with deadly carbon monoxide

A home improvement company’s partners have been fined after a woman and her foster children were potentially exposed to fatal carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of inappropriate building work. Gas Safety breach Philip Thomas and Janusz Wojcik, partners of Lochaber Street, Cardiff-based firm P Thomas and J Building Home improvement Specialists, each admitted breaching…

Could broken boilers have made Essex families ill?

Families in Essex are worrying that broken boilers could have made their children ill. The Essex Chronicle reports that households in Arnhem Road, Melbourne, were left without hot water and central heating for a week after experts classed their boilers as ‘immediately dangerous’. Charitable housing organisation CHP replaced the private tenants’ boilers, but residents are…