Carbon Monoxide kills 40 a year – are you safe?

Carbon Monoxide is a serious public health concern. Every year, around 40 people lose their lives as a result of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in England and Wales alone, while England sees around 4,000 Accident and Emergency visits every year following exposure to the gas. These incidents are not spread evenly across the calendar, either…

Are you putting your loved ones in danger through improper use of portable heaters?

Portable heaters can prove very handy. From providing essential warmth and comfort during a boiler breakdown, to enabling people to control their energy bills by heating up just small parts of their home, portable heaters’ versatility and practicality has seen these appliances become commonplace in homes across the UK. The next few weeks could see many…

Boiler explodes in Dundee home – fortunately, burst pipe puts out the flames

We’ve often written about how dangerous the seemingly-innocuous gas boiler can be. High temperatures, intense pressure and many moving components mean that boilers can catch alight, release deadly carbon monoxide or even exploding if they are not maintained and serviced properly. Therefore, some boiler breakdowns can be very dramatic. For instance, the Evening Telegraph today…

Get your boiler serviced before the winter

A Gas Safe-registered engineer should service your gas boiler every year. You should aim to have your boiler serviced in the summertime, when the weather is still warm and your central heating system is turned off, but if you haven’t had the appliance serviced yet, you should try to do so as soon as possible.…